WOULD YOU INVITE A RATTLE SNAKE INTO YOUR HOUSE?—CANADA DID
If Trudeau and his government need more evidence of China’s sinister intentions in Canada, here is a summary of the evidence that a joint RCMP-CSIS report gave Ottawa about 20 years ago. This report is even more relevant today.
(1) The report was sub-titled “SIDEWINDER”. That is a comparison of Mainland China to a rattlesnake. It is another way of saying that it was foolish to have allowed a political rattlesnake like China to acquire financial interests in Canada. The purpose of the joint RCMP-CSIS project was “to assess the extent of the threat posed by the acquisition and control of Canadian companies by members or associates of Chinese triads (organized crime) and those with affiliations to the Chinese Intelligence (Spy) Service”. (P.3)
(2) When Deng Xiaoping took over China in the late 1970’s, he introduced his economic reforms with the slogan “To get rich is glorious”. However, he and his regime knew nothing about how the West and capitalism operated, so they went to the richest Chinese in Hong Kong and to Chinese organized crime (triads) for advice. In return, Deng gave these groups privileged access to China’s economy. Triads were involved in illegality such as the following : gambling, extortion, prostitution, human trafficking and even political assassinations. Ironically, Deng referred to the triads as “patriotic groups”.
(3) A significant presence of organized crime was detected in “investor” immigrants from Hong Kong to Canada from the mid-1980’s on. This presence consisted of two groups of Chinese (A) Very rich Hong Kong Chinese business people who had been known to be co-operating with the Mainland Chinese government for years and (B) Associates and relatives of China’s leadership and the Chinese Intelligence (Spy) Service (ChIS). Co-operation between Hong Kong tycoons, triads and the Beijing leadership raised the level of the threat to Canada. Mainland China was looking for Canadian technology and for ways to interfere in Canada. In order to understand what Mainland China intended, Canadians had to be made aware of unique Chinese concepts such as “debt of honour”, “duties” “Hou Tai or backers, and “Guanxi or connections”. These concepts placed cultural obligations on Chinese to make a choice between being loyal to (A) other Chinese or to (B) Canada.
(4) As of 1997, over 200 Canadian companies were under the direct or indirect control of China. Many Canadians will be shocked to learn that one of those 200 companies is the CIBC, one of Canada’s five largest banks. Another major bank in Canada under Mainland China’s control is the Hong Kong Bank of Canada. Such purchases have enabled China to get access to important inside information about Canada’s banking system.
(5) Also as of 1997, examples of other Chinese-controlled “Canadian” companies were CITIC, Norinco, Husky Oil, Grand Adex Properties Inc., Merril Lynch, Gordon Capital Inc., Tai Foong International, Ramada Hotels, China Vision, and Semi-Tech Corporation). (Editor’s Note : Because Liberal Prime Minister Chretien ignored the recommendations of Sidewinder and even ordered the Sidewinder report to be destroyed, the number of companies now controlled by Mainland China is almost certainly exponentially higher.)
(6) The Chinese government has gained influence in Canadian politics by maximizing their presence over some of this country’s economic levers. The steps in Chinese strategy were as follows : (a) Buy a “Canadian” company so as to obtain a “local identity”, legally concealing their foreign identity. (b) Under the so-called “Canadian” banner, the Chinese-Canadian company, Invest then or Buy other companies in various Canadian economic sectors. Control lies in Hong Kong or Beijing. Worse still for Canada, the financial benefits of research, often paid for by Ottawa or the provinces are likely to go to Asia. The financial network of Chinese entrepreneurs (connected with triads or Beijing) has grown exponentially and very rapidly in Canada. Their influence over gullible and sycophantic local, provincial and national political leaders has also increased. Chinese entrepreneurs have offered company board positions to Canadian politicians. Many of these company boards are China-owned.
(7) These companies are eligible to receive Canadian government subsidies for research or to bid on classified contracts from Federal Departments. The risks to Canada were that : (A) After the research is done, it can be transferred to China. and (B) Access gained to classified contracts is gained for China. Two examples of outrageous/noticeable risk : (a) A Canadian company under Mainland Chinese influence competed for a contract to set up and run a classified communications system that linked the main agencies of the Canadian Intelligence community!!! This would enable the Chinese to obtain access to very sensitive information. (b) A Chinese multinational bought a Canadian company that specialized in video surveillance. Both of these companies may have installed security systems for various Canadian government institutions or Canadian research industries!! China thus had access to information it would never have obtained directly.
We have published a second analysis of the Sidewinder report. For details, see http://immigrationwatchcanada.org/2018/05/31/invite-rattle-snake-house-canada-part-2/
For Former Prime Minister Chretien’s involvement with China through his son-in-law, see http://primetimecrime.com/contributing/2005/20050120Gray.htm
For details from a Canadian diplomat who witnessed his colleagues selling Canadian visas to Chinese, on this topic, see