Report Fraud


If you know of individual immigrants or business immigrants who are not paying their taxes, but are benefiting from the free services that the government provides, please phone the following number :


If you know of immigrants who have offshore assets and offshore income, but are not reporting  these assets or income to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA), please contact the CRA Offshore Tax Informant Programme at the following number :


This programme offers a reward for some kinds of information which lead to conviction.



This is a new service offered by our federal government. It exists  to take reports of fraud committed by both TFW’s and the employers of  TFW’s. Please make good use of it.

For Ontario only :



We are not a government department, so we do not have the power to investigate immigration fraud. However, we will do what we can to help you report immigration fraud.

We urge Canadians to report any type of immigration or refugee fraud. Although it may not be too fashionable to talk about civic duty, it is important to realize that immigration fraud affects everyone in Canada. It is the responsibility of all Canadians to report people who are in Canada illegally, who are taking a job that legal Canadians might need, who are collecting social assistance or Employment Insurance illegally, who are violating other immigration laws, etc. Law Enforcement authorities and 34 million Canadians need your help. You may be the only one who knows about the fraud.

You can remain anonymous in making your report. We are providing below some instructions on how to do that. However, we urge you to make the report in person—if it is possible.


One of the most effective ways to report fraud is to complain directly to a Canadian consulate or embassy in the country where the immigration fraud  originates. Here is a link to contact information for a large number of Canadian embassies and consulates :

Find the appropriate embassy or consulate. Find the phone or fax number or the e-mail address  of the Canadian consulate or embassy in the country where the fraud is occurring. Then phone, fax or e-mail your complaint to that office.

The advantage in doing this is that embassy or consular officers are the first line of defence against immigration fraud. It is best to stop the fraud at the point of origin. Trying to deport cheaters  who have arrived in Canada is much more difficult.Canada’s immigration lawyers, immigration advocacy groups and ethnic groups have erected many barriers to deportation of fraudsters.


If the cheaters have arrived in Canada, the most important thing we can recommend to you is that you ask your MP to help you in your reporting. MP’s are paid handsomely for their work. Don’t hesitate to ask for help. Most important, don’t accept excuses from some MP’s or their office staff who want to avoid work. Make it clear to them that you are not asking them to investigate the case. You just want them to help you make your report and to get the attention of the Canada Border Services Agency.

MP’s have to get involved because the Canada Border Services Agency and Citizenship and Immigration officials will pay more attention to the requests of an MP than to those of average Canadians.

Canadians have to be aware that a significant number of MP’s are passive supporters of current immigration policies. Incredible as it may sound, those MP’s think nothing is wrong with our immigration system. Needless to say, these MP’s need to be jolted out of their delusions.

Other MP’s are outright cheerleaders of Canada’s immigration industry. These MP’s are interested solely in re-election, and have put their own interests and the interests of some of their constituents ahead of the greater interests of Canada. These people have to be confronted.

On the other hand, some MP’s are both aware of extensive immigration fraud and are genuinely interested in doing something to stop it. But they need evidence that fraud is occurring and of the extent of the fraud in order to achieve this result. In many cases, immediate legislation is required. The evidence you and others provide will be the basis of the new laws.

Phone the MP’s office and ask for an appointment. Bring all the relevant information. It would be a good idea to bring someone along for moral support and as a witness.

Present all the information and ask the MP/Staff what specific things they could do to help. Take notes. Be firm. Convey the idea that you want something done. Ask them to contact you by a certain date so that you will be able to hear about progress on the case.


If you want to report a case of citizenship or immigration fraud, tips may be reported by email at<> or by calling our call Centre at 1-888-242-2100. Those overseas can also contact the nearest Canadian visa office.

Citizenship and Immigration Canada issues Super Visas. Cases of Super Visa fraud can be  reported by phone to 1-888-242-2100. If you want to send information to Citizenship and Immigration  by mail  regarding Super Visa fraud,  send your information to the following address : Canada Border Services Agency, Attention Border Watch Tip Line, Ottawa, Ontario, K1A 0L8.

CBSA will forward your information to CIC


If you choose not to contact your MP, you can report fraud by telephone completely anonymously to the CBSA. Here are some directions to follow :

(1) Please phone 1-888-502-9060. This is the phone number for the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA)—Border Watch. The office is located in Ottawa. It is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. It is the main federal agency that enforces Canada’s Immigration Act. (The CBSA does provide a rough postal address : Canada Border Services Agency, Ottawa, K1A OL8. You can send material to that address. In addition, here is a CBSA e-mail address :  This e-mail address may or may not work.)

(2) You will hear a voice message system. Press “1” for service in English. You will hear another voice message which will give you a number of choices. If you press “1”, you will get to speak to an agent. Please tell the agent what you want to report. If you prefer to leave a voice message, press “2”. If you want to FAX information to CBSA, use the following number : 1-613-948-4848.

(3) Give the agent as much specific information as possible on the individual or group. Remember that you do not have to say who you are. All information you give will be held confidential. According to the CBSA, the following are minimum requirements in the information you should give them: (a) the complete name(s) of the person or people committing the fraud; (b) the age or date of birth of the person; c) the kind of fraud the person has committed. Explain the latter very clearly and in as much detail as is necessary.  Please try to provide other important information such as the country of birth, home address, work location, etc.

(4) If persons are working illegally in Canada, it is almost certain that they are not reporting their income. This means they can be reported to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) . It will greatly help the cause if you do this. If CBSA is slow in getting to the task, the Canada Revenue Agency may provide the pressure that is needed to produce results. Check for the CRA reporting number in your area. Here are 5 phone numbers, from Pacific to Atlantic :

(1) B.C. Region : 1-866-846-3535

(2) Prairie Region : 1-866-453-0450

(3) Ontario Region : 1-866-809-6841

(4) Quebec Region : 1-866-896-6317

(5) Atlantic Region : 1-888-674-1699

When you speak to the Canada Revenue Agency , please provide as many details as possible regarding the person and the employer.

(5) When you speak to the CBSA, tell the agent the kind of fraud you believe has been committed. There is a very long list of types of fraud: document/passport fraud; passing documents to others for their use; crime; working illegally in Canada; visa overstaying; illegal collecting of employment insurance or social assistance; foreign students working; foreign students not attending school; foreigners engaged in any threat to national security; foreign spouses deserting (soon after they get here) their Canadian spouses (fraud marriage) ; smuggling and others. These are a few examples.

(6) The CBSA has told us that they have priorities. People involved in terrorism and organized crime are at the top of their list. People Smugglers and those smuggled are next. People with deportation orders, Illegal Workers, those involved in Marriages of Convenience, Illegal Students, etc. complete their list.

(7) It is extremely important that you ask for a Log or Case Number. If you get more information and need to call again, you will need to give this number to the person you speak to. Getting a Log or case number will avoid the problem of repeating your information.

(8) Here is the Canada Border Services Agency web site address:

(9) The Canada Border Services Agency will begin an investigation ASAP. The length of an investigation varies. They will not tell you the results of the investigation. (However, if you find out that the reported person has left the country, you can probably conclude that the person has been deported. If you think something should have been done, but has not been done, phone CBSA again and complain. Be persistent. Also, let us know if you think CBSA is not being diligent. We will try to assist you.)



You may know of a case of someone who has cheated on an application for refugee status.  If you want to report cheating, you should contact the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada.  Here is their web site address and their e-mail contact address :


Marriage fraud

Some people think marriage to a Canadian citizen will be their ticket to Canada.

It is a crime for a foreign national to marry a Canadian citizen or permanent resident only to gain entry to Canada. CIC is working to prevent these false marriages.

In many cases, sponsors and foreign applicants set up a “marriage of convenience.” This is a marriage or common-law relationship whose sole purpose is to let the sponsored spouse or partner immigrate to Canada.

CIC officers are trained to recognize real immigration applications. They know how to detect false marriages. They have many ways to spot marriage fraud, including:

  • document checks,
  • visits to people’s homes and
  • interviews with both sponsors and applicants.

Canadian citizens or permanent residents who are in a marriage of convenience for immigration reasons may be charged with a crime.

New regulations

Were you sponsored to come to Canada as a spouse or partner on or after October 25, 2012? If so, you must now live with your sponsor in a genuine relationship for two years from the day you get permanent residence status in Canada. This is a new rule.

As a spouse or partner being sponsored, this applies to you if:

  • you have been in a relationship with your sponsor for two years or less,
  • you have no children in common and
  • Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) got your application on or after October 25, 2012.

Learn more about the new measure for spouses and partners.

Don’t become a victim of marriage fraud

Are you a Canadian citizen or permanent resident? Have you met someone from another country on the Internet or while travelling? If so, think carefully before marrying them and sponsoring them to come to Canada.

Sponsors must give financial support to their spouse for three years, even if the marriage or relationship fails. If your spouse uses social assistance, you will have to repay the money. Also, you cannot sponsor anyone else until you repay the debt.

Sponsorship is a legal contract with the Government of Canada. You must meet its terms.

Sponsors: Do not be tempted by offers of money or other rewards to marry a person just so he or she can immigrate to Canada. If you do this, you may face serious criminal charges. You will also still have to meet the terms of the sponsorship.

Do not feel you must help somebody by being part of a marriage of convenience, no matter what the reason. It is not worth the risks.

Visa applicants: Do not get involved in a false marriage. CIC will refuse your visa and may ban you from travel to Canada for two years. This will stay on your CIC record forever.

CIC knows that even genuine marriages can fail. But, if you enter into a marriage of convenience and come to Canada as an immigrant, Canada may:

  • take legal action against you and
  • deport you from Canada.